Al Bertrand, Georgetown, Chair (ab3643 AT georgetown DOT edu)
Eric Brandt, Virginia
Nadine Buckland, West Indies
Hilary Claggett, Georgetown
Jami Clay, North Carolina
Jennie Collinson, Liverpool
Emily Farrell, MIT
Brad Hebel, Columbia
Wynona McCormick, Texas A&M
Alice Ennis, Illinois
Central Office Liaisons
- Develop and manage tools, programs, and resources to assist Association members in improving the financial management and analysis of their presses.
Specific Charges to the Business Systems Committee:
- Support the Task Force on Operating Statistics by implementing recommended changes to improve the data for business analysis and advocacy.
- Support the Central Office as requested in commissioning and implementing the Association’s annual operating statistics survey.
- Support the Central Office as requested in commissioning and implementing the Association’s biennial compensation survey; review background information and make recommendations to the board regarding broader distribution of the survey as a tool for improving equity.
- Develop programs to assist member presses in completing the annual operating statistics survey; this may include, but is not limited to, hosting a webinar on completion of the operating statistics survey; working with Kim Schmelzinger to identify presses that have participated inconsistently and that might benefit from extra assistance; conduct outreach; establish a list of advisors available to assist presses in completion of the operating statistics.
- As requested, support planning for the annual Financial Managers meeting.
- Develop a timetable for updating the Business Handbook, and deliver revisions per plan to Association staff for publication on UP Commons.
- As requested, support the Central Office in the collection and/or analysis of Quarterly Sales and Returns Data, and the Monthly Sales Report
- Advise Central Office and other committees/task forces as requested on which additional categories of business information (e.g., open access models, journals, publishing services) may be useful to collect from members.
- Referring to the report of the Research Task Force as appropriate, suggest to the Central Office useful external sources of business intelligence information relevant to university press publishing.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons groups.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity & inclusion by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the course of the year.
- Seek opportunities when conducting activities and events to recruit new members to serve on your committee in future years, being sure to emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusion in your efforts; include in your final report to the board discussion of your recruiting efforts; share with the Executive Director the names of potential future committee members.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 4, 2021, and February 28, 2022; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 20, 2022. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.
Created by the business managers community and for many years overseen by a Business Handbook Task Force, the Business Systems Committee now has stewardship over this vital resource.