Brad Hebel, Columbia, Chair (bh2106 AT columbia DOT edu)
Lynn Benedetto, Cornell
Scott Kuehm, Princeton
Alice Ennis, Illinois
Central Office Liaisons
- Develop and manage tools, programs, and resources to assist Association members in improving the financial management and analysis of their presses.
Specific Charges to the Business Systems Committee:
- Support the Task Force on Operating Statistics by implementing recommended changes to improve the data for business analysis and advocacy.
- Commission and implement the Association’s annual statistics survey.
- Develop programs to assist member presses in completing the survey. This may include, but is not limited to, hosting a webinar on completion of the operating statistics; working with Kim Schmelzinger to identify presses that have participated inconsistently and might benefit from extra assistance; conduct outreach; establish list of advisors available to assist presses in completion of the operating statistics.
- As requested, support planning for the annual Financial Managers meeting.
- As requested, support the Central Office in the collection and/or analysis of Quarterly Sales and Returns Data.
- Referring to the report of the Research Task Force as appropriate, suggest to the Central Office useful sources of business intelligence information relevant to university press publishing.
- Develop a timetable for updating the Business Handbook, and deliver revisions per plan to Association staff for publication on UP Commons.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 8, 2019, and February 26, 2020; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 15, 2020. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.
Created by the business managers community and for many years overseen by a Business Handbook Task Force, the Business Systems Committee now has stewardship over this vital resource.