Charles Watkinson, Michigan
Central Office Liaison
Organize the main program and procure speakers/panellists/moderators for the 2023 Annual Meeting.
- Issue a Call for Proposals by September 1, 2022
- Contact committee chairs to solicit programming input by August 31, 2022.
- Schedule an informal meeting during the Association’s 2022 Annual Meeting and a formal one-day meeting of the Committee in Fall 2022 to brainstorm topics and speakers for the sessions and divide up responsibilities for various panels and plenaries.
- Continue to develop and support Collaboration Labs, ensuring differentiation from more traditional session formats.
- Within existing constraints (time, resources, contractual obligations to hotel), incorporate alternative session formats (e.g., unmeetings, vendor forums).
- Attract individuals from beyond the Association community – both as speakers and attendees.
- Establish a draft program schedule by January 2023. Provide outline of the program in a December interim offline report to the Board. Recruit program speakers by February 2023.
- Submit a proposed recommended allocation of the speakers’ budget to the Central Office by January 2023.
- Develop speaker/facilitator guidelines to ensure expectations are clearly communicated and sessions are sufficiently interactive.
- Provide copy for preliminary program by February 1, 2023, and a final printed program by May 1, 2023, or other dates provided by the Central Office.
- Work with the Central Office to help market and promote the Annual Meeting.
- Work with the Central Office to attract sponsors for the Annual Meeting.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons Group
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the course of the year.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 8, 2020, and February 25, 2021; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 20, 2021. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.