Lisa Quinn, Wilfrid Laurier, Chair (lquinn AT wlu DOT ca)
Nate Bauer, Alaska
Ellen Chodosh, New York
Joel Cosseboom, Hawai’i
Micah Kleit, Rutgers
Colleen Lanick, Harvard
Elaine Maisner, North Carolina
Barbara Pope, Johns Hopkins
Susan Wadsworth-Booth, Kent State
Additional members TBA
Christie Henry, Princeton
Central Office Liaison
- In coordination with the Central Office, leadership, and any other impacted committees, support the Advocacy tactics in the AUPresses strategic plan emphasizing outreach to university administrators and other key stakeholders, and assist in the maintenance and promotion of a press-based advocacy toolkit on the UP Commons.
Specific Charges to the Advocacy Committee:
- Identify and report on resources and best practices for press-based advocacy that merit sharing widely via Commons toolkit.
- Educate and encourage the community of member press directors to share best practices for press-based advocacy and to use the new toolkit resource.
- Advise the external communications manager and Association staff as they identify new opportunities and establish priorities in developing the new toolkit.
- Liaise as necessary or requested with other committees, including the Faculty Outreach Committee and the University Press Week Task Force for advocacy to other audiences.
- Act as consultants to Association staff and leadership as requested in response to a member press under threat.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons Group
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the course of the year.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 8, 2020, and February 25, 2021; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 20, 2021. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.