Meredith Babb, Florida, Chair (mb AT upress DOT ufl DOT edu)
Nate Bauer, Alaska
Ellen Chodosh, New York
Joel Cosseboom, Hawai’i
Mark Heineke, Nebraska
Micah Kleit, Rutgers
Colleen Lanick, Harvard
Elaine Maisner, North Carolina
Nicole Mitchell, Washington
Barbara Kline Pope, Johns Hopkins
Lisa Quinn, Wilfrid Laurier
Susan Wadsworth-Booth, Kent State
Greg Britton, Johns Hopkins
Central Office Liaison
- In coordination with the Central Office and leadership, support the Advocacy tactics in the AUPresses strategic plan through outreach to university administrators and assistance in the development and promotion of a press-based advocacy toolkit on the UP Commons.
Specific Charges to the Advocacy Committee:
- Identify and report on resources and best practices for press-based advocacy that merit sharing widely via Commons toolkit.
- Educate and encourage the community of member press directors to share best practices for press-based advocacy and to use the new toolkit resource.
- Advise the external communications manager and Association staff as they identify new opportunities and establish priorities in developing the new toolkit. Liaise as necessary or requested with other committees, including the Faculty Outreach Committee and the University Press Week Task Force for advocacy to other audiences.
- Act as consultants to Association staff and leadership as requested in response to a member press under threat.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 8, 2019, and February 26, 2020; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 15, 2020. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.