Mindy Basinger Hill, Washington, Co-Chair (mbhill1 AT uw DOT edu)
Wendy McMillen, Notre Dame, Co-Chair (wendy DOT m DOT mcmillen DOT 3 AT nd DOT edu)
Jennifer Blanc-Tal, Rutgers
Kevin Barrett Kane, California
Mark Lerner, Fordham
Lori Lynch, Alabama
Isaac Morris, New Mexico
Peter Perez, North Carolina
Regina Starace, Penn State
Carrie Downes Teefey, Wayne State
David Zielonka, Stanford
Saleem Dhamee, Chicago
Central Office Liaison
- Coordinate 2022-2023 Book, Jacket, and Journal Show.
- Prepare for the Book, Jacket, and Journal Show by selecting judges, securing donations for printing and producing the show catalog, and exploring new avenues of digitizing the awards process.
- Implement the Show by producing and distributing the call for entries, coordinating the judging in mid-January, updating the show website with the selected entries, coordinating the Show session at the 2023 Annual Meeting, and exploring new opportunities to expand the visibility of the show and catalog.
- Keep the show relevant by continuing to recognize design excellence in books and publishing, and by considering and establishing awards that responsibly diversify the recipient pool.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons groups.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity & inclusion by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the year.
- Seek opportunities when conducting activities and events to recruit new members to serve on your committee in future years, being sure to emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusion in your efforts; include in your final report to the board discussion of your recruiting efforts; share with the Executive Director the names of potential future committee members.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 27, 2022, and March 20, 2023; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 25, 2023. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.