Joel Coggins, Pittsburgh, Chair (jcoggins AT upress DOT pitt DOT edu)
Jessica Booth, Utah
Barbara Bourgoyne, Louisiana State
Alan Brownoff, Alberta
Karen Copp, Iowa
Ani Deyirmenjian, Toronto
Rachel Ross, Wayne State
Dan Ruccia, Duke
Isaac Tobin, Chicago
Jennifer Crewe, Columbia
Central Office Liaison
- Coordinate 2019-20 Book, Jacket, and Journal Show.
- Select judges for each segment of the show (specifically to include representation from both the scholarly books and book interiors segments) by October 2019.
- Solicit donations of paper, composition, and printing for: (a) call for entries; (b) show catalogue; and, (c) award certificates.
- Design and produce: (a) call for entries by November 2019; (b) show catalogue by May 2020; and, (c) award certificates by July 2020.
- In conjunction with the Central Office, maintain the Show website, updating for 2020 selected entries.
- Explore other opportunities to digitize the awards process.
- Continue to seek opportunities to recognize excellence in digital publishing activities.
- Recommend and establish awards that responsibly diversify the recipient pool; for example: an award targeting first-time entrants, awards that encourage entries from small presses, and/or, awards that specifically target under-represented Association constituencies (e.g., an award for two-color cover design, an award for case-bound cover design).
- Coordinate a mid-January judging with the Central Office.
- Coordinate the Book, Jacket, and Journal Show session at the 2020 Annual Meeting, thinking creatively about new ways in which this session might be structured.
- Working with the Central Office, explore opportunities to expand the visibility of the show and catalogue, as an outreach and public relations vehicle to both the Association community and the broader public; recommend new promotion outlets as requested.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 8, 2019, and February 26, 2020; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 15, 2020. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.