Tara Cyphers, Ohio State, Co-Chair (tara AT osupress DOT org)
Gianna Mosser, Vanderbilt, Co-Chair (gianna DOT f DOT mosser AT vanderbilt DOT edu)
Mike Baccam, Washington
Ellen Bush, North Carolina
Jessica Castro-Rappl, Duke
Stephanie Elliott Prieto, Wesleyan
Valarie Guagnini, Cambridge
Brian Halley, Massachusetts
Christie Henry, Princeton
Clare Litt, Liverpool
Gita Manaktala, MIT
Dominique Moore, Illinois
Carmen Tiampo, British Columbia
Caitlin Tyler-Richards, Michigan State
Saleem Dhamee, Chicago
Central Office Liaison
- Support the development and implementation of programs and resources that uphold the Association’s core value of diversity and that increase equity, justice, and inclusion throughout the AUPresses community; prioritize support for BIPOC colleagues and those from other under-represented communities.
- Continue management of data and demographics tool pilot; submit proposal(s) to Central Office to fund: (i) external peer review of current tool; and, (ii) investigation of options for further development, including data aggregation at the Association level.
- Develop and consolidate a list of existing resources for diversity, equity, antiracism, and inclusion work to host on UP Commons, with an emphasis on resources focused on scholarly publishing and/or higher education, including those recommended by the Coalition for Diversity and Inclusion in Scholarly Communication (C4DISC) and other peer organizations.
- Building on 2020-21’s success in inviting other committee chairs to participate in EJI committee meetings, work collaboratively with other AUPresses committees serving various functional areas of university press publishing to identify and develop programs and resources that seek to increase equity and inclusion in departments beyond acquisitions editorial.
- As requested, plan a Collaboration Lab for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
- Liaise with C4DISC to explore ways to investigate pay equity and equity experience along other axes of diversity.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Association:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons groups.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity & inclusion by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the course of the year.
- Seek opportunities when conducting activities and events to recruit new members to serve on your committee in future years, being sure to emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusion in your efforts; include in your final report to the board discussion of your recruiting efforts; share with the Executive Director the names of potential future committee members.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on October 4, 2021, and February 28, 2022; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due May 20, 2022. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members.)
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year, and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.