Peter Perez, North Carolina, Chair (peter DOT perez AT uncpress DOT org)
Emily Hamilton, Minnesota
Lisa Kuerbis, Syracuse
Sarah Noell, Columbia
Colleen Suljic, Princeton
Michael Higgins, Harvard Education
Jamie Jones, Michigan
Alison Mailloux, Harvard
Vanessa de Bueger, Amsterdam
Stephanie Marchman, Notre Dame
Colleen Lanick, Harvard
Central Office Liaison
- Develop and manage tools, programs, and resources to assist Association members in improving the marketing activities of their presses.
Specific Charges to the Marketing Committee:
- Continue to update, expand, and promote the Marketing Handbook, with a particular focus on exhibits and publicity, including for open access works.
- Create resources and plan events to support members, using an equity, justice, and inclusion lenses to rethink core marketing, publicity, and sales activities.
- Create one or more Marketing Hangouts; consider using the successful “mixer” model from the 2023 Virtual Annual Meeting.
Common Charges to All Committees of the Corporation:
- Include your board and staff liaisons in all committee communications and activities.
- Use UP Commons as your primary communications and collaboration tool.
- Encourage discussions on appropriate UP Commons groups.
- Coordinate all research and survey activity through the Central Office.
- Seek opportunities to support the Association’s core value of diversity & inclusion by engaging in activities and developing programs that include participation from diverse members of the community and/or that aim to increase equity and inclusivity in our community.
- Seek opportunities to support the goals of the Association’s 2016 membership restructuring by integrating into your committee activities the participation of colleagues from non-North American member presses.
- Support the Annual Meeting Program Committee as requested, and include in your final report to the board any suggestions for future programming your committee identifies over the year.
- Seek opportunities when conducting activities and events to recruit new members to serve on your committee in future years, being sure to emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusion in your efforts; include in your final report to the board discussion of your recruiting efforts; share with the Executive Director the names of potential future committee members.
- Submit reports on Committee activities to the Association Board in time for its October, March, and June meetings. Interim reports are due on 22 September 2023, and 1 March 2024; final reports that recap all committee activities for the year and are shared with the membership are due 31 May 2024. (For convenience, please reproduce your Charge & Tasks at the beginning of all reports, and list the names and institutional affiliations of all committee members, along with board and staff liaisons.)
- Apply the lens of equity, diversity, inclusion, and decolonization to all committee work.
- Appoint a member of your committee to serve as a liaison to the Equity, Justice, Inclusion, and Belonging Committee, providing updates on your committee’s EJIB efforts, seeking information, support, or guidance on EJIB matters as needed, and attending Fall and Spring meetings for liaisons sponsored by EJIB Committee.
- Review your General Objective and Specific Tasks at the end of the service year and recommend changes for next year to the Executive Director.
Created and continually refreshed by the committee, this Handbook is an essential primer and reference for marketing, sales, and publicity work for scholarly and university publishers.