The Association of University Presses (AUPresses) is intended to be a community of equity and integrity. Our mission is to advance the essential role of a global community of publishers who themselves are committed to ensuring academic excellence and cultivating knowledge. In pursuing this mission, we uphold the Association’s core values of intellectual freedom, diversity and inclusion, integrity, and stewardship.
The experience of everyone who participates in this community and in the spaces we create, whether online or off, should be one of positive and respectful engagement—free of harassment, aggression, and abuse. Participants in the AUPresses community, including but not limited to staff, members, volunteers, attendees, vendors, and partners, are expected to adhere to this Code of Conduct at in-person meetings and related events, in webinars and online meetings, on UP Commons, within committee or task force work, via email discussion lists, and while taking part in any other AUPresses event or activity.
Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- Offensive or harassing behavior or language based on group status, including but not limited to race, ethnic background, national origin, age, religion, disability or medical condition, gender expression or identity, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, appearance, occupation or professional status, or veteran status;
- Sexual harassment, including unwelcome attention, stalking (physical or virtual), and non-consensual physical contact;
- Abusive, biased, or disrespectful conduct that has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with another person’s ability to participate in and enjoy the benefits of Association events, resources, or spaces;
- Violating safety precautions, policies, and public health regulations at in-person events; and,
- Real or implied threats of physical or professional harm.
If a person engages in such conduct, appropriate action will be taken, including but not limited to, expulsion from the community space or event and restriction from participation in future AUPresses activities.
During virtual events and across AUPresses online communities, we ask individuals who witness or experience conduct in violation of the Code to report such conduct as soon as possible to either the Association’s Executive Director at 917-288-5594 or email@example.com or Director of Operations at 917-244-1264 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Attendees at in-person Annual Meetings, please use this form to report an incident, or locate any AUPresses staff or board member for meeting-specific reporting and assistance resources.
Panelists, speakers, and session or meeting organizers also should refer to any event-specific speaker guidelines for possible additional information. Members of AUPresses will also find the Discussion List Guidelines, the Anti-Trust Guidelines [PDF], and the UP Commons/Humanities Commons Terms of Service useful references.